Blogging is the modern mode of connection. Some people love blogging, some people dread blogging and some people do not know how, what and why to blog. So what are your thoughts about blogging?
These are some pointers for successful Blogging:
- Find a subject that you are knowledgeable on first.
- Decide on the slant you want your blog to take.
- Do you want to create conversation, debate or controversy?
- Do you know what reader you are looking for?
- Is your blogging interesting?
- Do you have a regular blogging schedule that you stick to?
- Does your blog have a unique selling point or unique theme?
- Do you enable/encourage commenting on your blog posts?
- Is your blog easy to navigate and clearly headed?
- Do you have an “AboutMe” page and is it attention grabbing?
- Are your blog titles eye-catching, topical or controversial?
- Is the theme of your blog tied in to the subject of your blog?
Blogging, like twitter, is a two-way conversation. The conversation is between you, the blogger, and the readers, your potential followers. The easiest way to gain a readership and therefore gain a following besides following all the top tips above is to follow other bloggers and to comment on their posts. Successful blogging is all about common courtesy and respect. Unless your blog’s selling point is creating controversy or snarkiness – some bloggers excel at this unique selling point – it is important to be courteous and respectful at all times. If you start blogging with the idea that everyone is going to love you and agree with you, you will wake up with a rude surprise. There are going to be people who don’t like every one of your posts nor will they agree with you. This does not mean that you should delete their comments but rather use them to open up new discussions. You may find a new way to look at a subject. Remember everyone is entitled to an opinion. It also helps to acknowledge the comments on your blog posts by replying individually to each one.
I mentioned “Unique Selling Point” earlier in the post. This is a sales term that is used in sales and marketing but can be used for anything wanting a following or a market. A “Unique Selling Point” or “USP” is something that makes a product more desirable than other products of the same calibre. Finding a “USP” will make your blog stand out from the crowd and will guarantee you some loyal followers.
Remember to also personalize your blog to reflect you and your personality. Blogging is about various topics and subjects but bloggers are people. People respond to people. Therefore readers will respond to a person who blogs. This does not mean you have to diarise or publicize your life. Instead throw in a few posts that are personal to you or relate the topic of a post back to your own life and your own experience. This will create more of a conversational environment on your blog.
So today’s exercise:
- Give your blog a critical look-over and see whether it meets the top tips.
- Is your blog fresh to the eyes or is it feeling a little stale? Perhaps it is time for a blog makeover…
- Do you follow a regular blogging schedule? Maybe you should think of creating one if you don’t.
- Ask your followers what else they would like you to post blogs on…they can be a wealth of ideas.
- Blogging 101 (webbeavers.wordpress.com)
- Marketing know how: Blogging – why it matters to your company and how to do it (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Blogging 101: Something Wild & Crazy (mkmercurio.wordpress.com)
- Why do you blog? (kleenexmums.com.au)
- Which blog for me? (xemion.com)
- The 3 Best Ways To Generate Blog Traffic That Converts (famousbloggers.net)
- What Blog Platform Do You Use Most? [POLL] (problogger.net)
- How to Master the Art of Exceptional Blog Titles (hubspot.com)