Three things I love and use every day:
- My iPad Mini
- Stationery (Especially the delicious lure of NEW stationery)
In this post I get to combine all three of some of my favourite things.
Keep on reading!
For the last 5 months of 2016 I was on the road, in the air, on planes, trains, underground trains, cars and mostly living out of a lightweight suitcase + a backpack + a crossbody travel bag. So I had to minimise my favourite things into portable Every Day Carry (EDC) options; those which would take the least amount of room, be highly functional, be minimalistic but still give me pleasure. When travelling, especially long-term, the key-words are Minamalism + Functional. I would add my personal motto of Yo-No-Bi: Simplicity, Function, Beauty.
This principle is known as yo-no-bi. Common among the older generation of craftsmen in Japan, yo-no-bi consists of two kanji, yo (用) which means use or application, and bi (美) which means beauty. Together they aim to balance the aesthetic and the functional – not only must a technique/item be functional, but it must be pleasing to the eye.
So here I’ve summed up my Favourite On-The-Go EDC things, all true to the principle of Yo-No-Bi, that I ended up carrying with me all over Australia/Hong Kong/UK/Greece for the last half of 2016.
Keep on reading!
I am definitely a #PlanItOnPaper gal. I love my tech but for actually planning tasks and then ticking off/crossing off tasks done, nothing beats a paper planner for me. I also prefer a bound lay-flat planner rather than a ringed planner. Last year was my introduction to the Hobonichi – a Japanese bound planner system (available in 3 sizes) with Tomoe River Paper (Very high quality fountain pen friendly paper) – and for my first year using Hobonichi, I bought the Hobonichi Cousin (A5). I loved the Hobonichi Cousin so much that I knew that I wanted to get all 3 sizes this year. I love compartmentalising my planning. I like having an everything hold-all planner – both personal and professional – which I prefer in an A5 size. But I knew I wanted separate, smaller planners for both my personal life and a dedicated planner/logbook for my writing.
Keep on reading!
- Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night Fountain Pen
- TWSBI Eco Fountain Pen
- Mitsubishi UniPin 0.3 Black Fine Line Marker
- Uniball Jetstream Multi-Pen
- Kikki K Metal RollerBall Pen
- Diamine Bilberry
- Diamine Ancient Copper
- Diamine Eclipse
- Diamine Red Dragon
- Tomoe River Paper – Extremely FountainPen-Friendly. You can get some from here.
- (All Hobonichi Planners have Tomoe River Paper – gridded.)
- TWSBI Grid Notebooks – These are my favourite drafting notebooks.
- Midori Traveler’s Notebook – Blue Edition
- Chic Sparrow Traveler’s Notebooks
- Zenkraft Traveler’s Notebooks
- Planners $ Planning Methods
- Hobonichi Cousin – My absolute everything #GetShitDone Planner
- Hobonichi Weeks – My on-the-go portable planner + bulletjournal
- Hobonichi Techo – English Planner – My WIP Writer’s Logbook/Journal
- Chronodex – My favourite time-tracking tool.
- Bullet Journal – My favourite planning method.
- Stars +Stickers + Calendar Method – The best #GetItWrittenDeadlineAchiever Trick!
- Wild Mind: Living The Writer’s Life – Natalie Goldberg
- Big Magic – Elizabeth Gilbert
For the Soul
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail – Cheryl Strayed
For the Mind
- The 5am Miracle: Dominate Your Day Before Breakfast – Jeff Sanders
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8am) – Hal Elrod
- Still Alice – Lisa Genova
- Second Life – S.J. Watson
- What Came Before – Anna George
- The Memory of Water – Karen White
- Mrs. Hemingway – Naomi Wood
- Harry Hole – Jo Nesbo
- Blood on Snow – Jo Nesbo
- Joona Linna – Lars Kepler
- Bill Hodges – Stephen King
- Jack Reacher – Lee Child
- The Blackdagger Brotherhood – J.R. Ward
- A Court of Thorns & Roses – Sarah J. Maas
- Walking Jazz, the papillon, my adorable furry BFF.
- At Home Workouts
- Tae Bo – I use this app (Apple iOS Apps)
- Pilates – I use this app (Apple iOS Apps)
- Apple iPad Mini Retina
- Apple MacBook Pro
- Software & Apps
- Yurbuds Inspire 300 Sport Headphones
- Spotify – Especially these playlists: Moodbooster, Re-Energise, Creativity Boost, Zen Focus, Morning Walk
- New Groups: Jamestown Revival
- Massage Therapy – Full Body Deep Tissue Massage
- Shellac Manicures + Pedicures
- Glasshouse Candles
- Morning Ritual – Miracle Morning + 5am Miracle
- Evening Ritual – Adapted Miracle Morning Method
- KonMarie Organizing&Tidying Method
- Morning Pages – Clearing the mind by stream-of-consciousness Journalling and preparing it for focus.
- Evening Brain Dumps – Getting everything out of my brain onto paper.
So tell me what are some of your favourite things #2015?
Enjoy your last day of 2015!
Welcome in 2016!