Today is catch-up day or catch a ride on a dog day ala` Garfield! 🙂
I have been tagged 5 times in the last few months in a blog meme. My latest nomination was from my good friend, Patti Larsen. The other people who nominated me are: Melissa Pearl, Jonathan D. Allen, K.S.Bowers and Velvet Skies. Check out all their excerpts. (I may have been tagged by a couple of other bloggers but cannot find the links 😦 So apologies if you tagged me in The Lucky 7 Meme and I have not responded.)
The rules are that you must post an excerpt from one of your books and this excerpt has to be seven sentences, lines or paragraphs from page 7 or page 77, seven lines down.
So here is my excerpt…
“Eliza. Listen to me. It is imperative you heed Jal’s warnings. It is as I feared. I have prayed and pleaded and begged your escape. I have pleaded to take your place instead. This is not your curse. I have brought this upon your head. I am sick with fever from guilt and from fear. I fear for you Eliza. With everything that is within me, I fear for you.”
Mama’s words and her strong grasp scare me. My eyes widen at her fear, naked in her burning eyes. It is fear not strength that lights her beautiful eyes. My heart is all at once stuck in my throat. My hopes that Mama could help me are being scattered in a hurricane fueled by fear.
Curse? She brought a curse upon my head? Oh Charles, where are you? Take me away. Take me away.
My hands are trapped butterflies in hers. They feel cold and numb. I pull them back from her’s.
I lean back from her. I cannot look at her. But I have to know what curse she had brought? What did Jal mean? What did Mama know?
“Eliza, darling child. Gifted daughter of my love. Please look at me. Do not look away. I cannot bear your disdain. He was the same with me. Please, it will break me apart if you turn me aside. Let me explain. There is so much I have to tell you. I have kept this secret too long. I did not want to burden you with my secret. But now I see it was never my secret, it was always our secret. Jal’s and mine. Eliza, look at me. I beseech you as your mother. Eliza.”
Her voice is tinged purple with desperation. At the second mention of Jal in as many moments, I turn to her. I truly look at her. I look at her as a woman, a soul, with my second sight. I can see the purple air of desperation colouring her shadow. Her eyes are wide and bright with fear. Her brow is knotted with effort. She is my mama. She must protect me. I pull myself together with effort trying to ignore the childish hum in the background.
“Mama. You must tell me. What secret that belongs to you and Jal? What curse? Is it the girl? Is it the placings that Jal keeps on talking about? Mama, what have you done?”
My mother looks at me then. She looks at me not as her daughter, she sees me for the woman I am. I recognise my image reflected in her eyes. A strong woman caught in a secret not hers. I see a deep indigo bleed into the purple air surrounding her. It is the indigo of guilt. I know where I have seen that indigo before. It is often around Father. What had she done? What had they done? All I want at that moment is release. I want to run from that room and never return. But a force stronger than my fear holds me there. My anger holds me locked in place. I fear this new dangerous emotion more than any other. I have run too long from this emotion. I have run too long from myself. My anger holds me gripped in its black grasp. I am its prisoner as much as its gaoler. I wait for Mama to speak her piece. My thoughts have finally pulled together in one single heavy black strand.
Mama takes a deep breath and starts talking.
– Excerpt from Ring a Ring o’ Roses
– Book 1 of The Curse`d Trilogy © All Rights Reserved Kim Koning.
My last task in this is to tag seven other people to participate. I have tried to tag people who have not already been tagged in the Lucky 7 Meme. So here I’ve chosen:
Rebecca Berto blogs @ Novel Girl
Rachna Chhabria blogs @ Rachna’s Scriptorium
Simon C. Larter @ Write Drunk, Edit Sober
Nina D’Arcangela blogs @ Sotet Angyal
I also received a Blogger Award this week: The Kreativ Blogger Award
A: Thank my nominator and provide a link to their blog.
B: List seven things that readers might find interesting about me.
C: Nominate seven other bloggers.
- A: My nominator is the lovely Kellie Larsen Murphy who blogs @ The Dog Ate My Novel – She nominates me here. Thank you Kellie! Check out her blog…she has some excellent posts and I absolutely love the title of her blog.
- B: 7 Things that are interesting about me
- In High School I wanted to become a Pathologist.
- I am terrified of bats – I cannot even look at a picture of them.
- When I was a baby, I suffered from febrile seizures and medically “died” from my heart stopping.
- I hate swimming in a swimming pool by myself as I have a phobia of drowning in a swimming pool.
- My strangest and shortest day job was 4 hours in the butchery department of a grocery store – this put me off eating meat for about 6 weeks.
- I have been trained to take down armed hijackers – from my days as an international flight attendant.
- I have the gift of being a horse-whisperer – an ability I inherited from my great-grandfather.
- C: It was really difficult to pick bloggers to nominate here because every blogger I follow and all my blogging friends have awesome blogs all worthy of being awarded but I decided to nominate the following 7 Bloggers who I have not yet had a chance to nominate for any awards…So here my 7 nominations are:
- Mary Beth Coudal blogs @ My Rules
- Jaye Manus blogs @ J W Manus
- Aniko Carmean blogs @ The Happy Horror Writer
- Penelope Crowe blogs @ As The Crowe Flies
- Marie Loughin blogs @ Marie Loughin’s I WANNA BE…
- Paul D. Dail blogs @ A Horror Writer’s Not Necessarily Horrific Blog
- Jonathan D. Allen blogs @ Shaggin The Muse